Club History » Deutsch

Club History


In January 1951 a group of German immigrants met at the Hilltop Hotel and Restaurant, which was located on north Tamiami Trail across the street from the present Van Wezel Hall.

In March, twenty-three interested people attended a second meeting with the idea of founding a club. At this time a charter was drafted and by-laws written. The "German American Social Club" was founded.

Alfred Klein, the owner of the Hilltop Hotel, was elected to be the first president. He provided the group with a meeting room where they could enjoy the good old German "Gemuetlichkeit". The idea of the club was to promote the German culture and traditions.

In 1999 the membership founded the Otto Springman Scholarship Fund in honor of one of the original charter members. Since 2001, the golden anniversary year of the club, an award has been presented yearly to a deserving German student of New College in Sarasota, Florida.